October 15, 2013

Spicy Vegan Sausage









Rhea, the girl who came up with this recipe is a genius! I'm blaming her for my upset stomach because I ate these sausages too fast...lol. I tried so many different types of vegan, gluten-free sausage recipes in search of one that I actually liked. I finally had given up. Although, I'm a huge fan of beans and lentils I just didn't want sausages that tasted like that. Rhea uses black-eyed peas and they are perfect.... no beany taste!

I did make some changes to the spice mix. I upped the amounts of several of them and eliminated the fennel (not a fan of it) and added some thyme. I also, preferred to made 6 sausages instead of 4 huge ones. If you want to stick with her original recipe the link is below. Feel free to have them with any condiment you like. I had them with ketchup but I`ll probably try it her way next time with mustard, onions and mushrooms....yum!

http://thevword.net/2012/06/gluten-free-spicy-italian-sausage-part-ii.html


I did find this recipe to be labor intensive but worth the effort. I would suggest using canned beans to save time. In the future I plan to double this recipe and freeze them. Before making them keep in mind to set aside extra time because once the sausages are made they should be refrigerate for a few hours or overnight to firm them up.

The Spinach Omelets in the picture are from my blog...


http://glutenfreevegan.blogspot.ca/2012/10/red-pepper-and-spinach-vegan-omelets.html


For the Spice Mix:

1 1/2 tsp garlic powder
3/4 tsp black pepper
1 1/4 tsp salt
1 3/4 tsp sweet paprika
1 3/4 tsp smoked paprika
3/4 to 1 tsp red pepper flakes
1 1/4 tsp oregano
1/8 tsp allspice
1/8 tsp thyme

For the Sausage:

2 tsp + 2 tsp olive oil
1 cup mushrooms, chopped
1/2 cup onion,
finely chopped 1 garlic clove,minced
2 cups cooked or 1-15 oz. can of black-eyed peas, drained and rinsed
1 Tbps sun-dried tomato paste
1/4 cup nutritional yeast
1/2 cup brown rice flour
1 tsp xanthan gum
3 Tbsp of gluten-free, vegan Worcestershire Sauce
A few drops of Liquid Smoke (optional)

Prepare spice mix in advance. Set aside. Heat a skillet with 2 tsp. of olive oil. Sauté the onions, mushrooms and garlic until softened. Set aside and let cool.

In a large bowl, add the black-eyed peas and mash them up. You can use a fork, a potato masher or just get your hands in there. If you want to use a food processor, do a rough chop. You don’t want a puree. Then add the tomato paste, nutritional yeast, spice mix and brown rice flour. Mix well. Sprinkle the xanthan gum over the mixture and incorporate it well. Add the cooled veggie mixture to the bowl and mix it into the dry ingredients. Add the Worcestershire sauce to the bowl and mix it all up well. If you are using the Liquid Smoke, add it in now too.

Divide the mixture into 6 parts. Shape each part into a log. Wrap the logs individually in foil and steam them for 15-20 minutes. I use a metal steamer that sits atop a large stockpot of boiling water. Let them cool.

Then refrigerate for a few hours or overnight, if possible. This will help them firm up even more. When ready to use, unwrap and cook them however you desire. I cooked them on a grill pan.

4 comments:

Rhea said...

Wow, those look great. And the omelets look amazing! Thank you for linking back to my recipe on The "V" Word. I've been making them smaller lately too, as you did. Thank you again! xoxo

Laura Lee said...

Thanks Rhea....Hard to believe bigger isn't always better....lol

Natalie said...

Those look great. Was looking for a vegan sausage recipe a couple weeks ago. Definitely will keep these in mind!

Imani Wisdom said...

OMG! It looks sooooooooooo good! I have to try this.

Post a Comment